Local CRUW smashes £1/4m target for Cancer Research UK
CRUW, the official Cancer Research UK volunteer fundraising team for Ware and Hertford, have reached their goal of raising £1/4 million for the charity.
The small and dynamic fundraising team have completed many events and activities to raise funds. These have included selling items at Race For Life, hosting quiz nights, race nights, fashion shows and teaming up with Hertford Regional College to lay on pamper evenings at the Inspires Salon and a multi-course dinner at The Atrium Restaurant.
Other activities have included raising awareness for World Cancer Day by selling CRUK merchandise in the area, activities around Stand Up to Cancer, running Belly Dancing and Burlesque dance-a-thon sessions and they have also received some very generous donations from local businesses, pubs and organisations which have helped achieve their goal.
Money raised by CRUW will fund research to beat cancer, helping to ensure more men, women and children in Ware, Hertford and across the UK survive.
Treasurer Jez Donaldson said “Being able to help raise such significant funds from our small group has been amazing; having regular meetings and contact with the charity itself has been a great help and I look forward to continuing to work with the team to raise more life-saving funds in the future”.
The group would like to thank all their supporters and donors who have helped raise this amazing amount for such a good cause.
Cally Cardines, Cancer Research UK’s local fundraising manager for Hertfordshire said: “CRUW has made a huge contribution to Cancer Research UK’s work over the past 9 years and we are incredibly grateful for their support.”
“One in two people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer at some stage in their lives, but the good news is more people are surviving the disease now than ever before. Cancer survival in the UK has doubled since the early 1970s and Cancer Research UK’s work has been at the heart of that progress. However, we have only been able to achieve this thanks to the dedication and commitment of volunteers and supporters like CRUW without whom we would not be able to fund our life-saving research.”
They are always looking for more volunteers to give just a few hours of their time for collections and fundraising events, as the amount of money raised is often limited by the number of people available to cover an event. They particularly want to hear from local people experienced at staging events.
Further information including social media links can be found at cruw.org
For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit cruk.org.
FOR FURTHER MEDIA INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Cally Cardines, local fundraising manager, Cancer Research UK, 07711 209587 or Cally.Cardines@cancer.org.uk
Notes to Editors
About Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on vital donations from the public.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last 40 years.
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, 3 in 4 people will survive their cancer for at least 10 years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.