Cancer takes a beating from Ware & Hertford volunteer group
CRUW, the volunteer fundraising group for Cancer Research UK in the Ware & Hertford area has smashed through its most recent fundraising target of £150,000.
Started in May 2010, the small group of volunteers were recently recognised for their support of the new Francis Crick institute in London, when they made donations of almost £24,000 to help establish the new centre.
The Group's Chair, Alison said "Our ability, as the official volunteer group, to channel funds to specific areas of research such as breast cancer or genome research, means we can better reflect the wishes of certain donors who would like to target specific areas".
The group's Treasurer, Jez Donaldson, said "In our first meeting with the charity, back in 2010, we were given a target for our first year of £4,000. We were stunned at the size of the target at the time, but went on to raise £11,500 and now average around £20-25,000 per year with last year totalling over £47,000. It's just great to be part of a small, motivated team that is helping to beat cancer sooner!"
Cancer Research UK's Fundraising Manager for Hertfordshire, Rebecca West said “This is an incredible achievement by CRUW. I would like to thank them and everyone who supports our volunteers in making their events a success. CRUW is made up of dedicated individuals who give their time and energy to create events and conduct collections, without whom we would not be able to make such progress in Cancer Research. Thank you CRUW for making a difference, and please continue the good work". She went on to say "Our researchers are doing everything they can to make sure 3 in 4 people survive cancer by 2034, but we need the energy, creativity and motivation of our fundraising teams to make this possible. It’s easy to get involved - all you need is a little time to spare and a passion for teamwork, making a difference in your community and beating cancer sooner. If you would like to get involved with Cancer Research UK in the area please get in touch with me at Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org"
The team is always looking for new volunteers and for ad-hoc help with events. Interested people can get in touch or follow the group on social media via the group's website at www.cruw.org.
Plans are already in place for fundraising activities in 2016 to include street collections in support of World Cancer Day in February and a Pamper Evening in conjunction with Inspires Hair & Beauty Salon at Hertford Regional College, Ware on Wednesday 2nd March.
- Ends -
Notes to editors:
- For further media information, please contact Rebecca West, Local Fundraising Manager - Hertfordshire, Cancer Research UK, Mob: 07766 902 004, Email - email@example.com
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
- The charity’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.